Thursday 26 December 2013

Festive makes

Hello everyone, hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday, and that today you are taking it nice and easy, as I am!

We had a lovely day yesterday, spent at my Darling Mum's house.  My brother had certainly gone to town with all festive decorating, hope to share some photos of all that later on this week.  I helped to cook the dinner, and DH served it all up in a very organised fashion.  Lots of wonderful presents for everyone, lots of laughter, not least when my Darling Mum opened a present from one of my cousins - it was a bottle of Ultra Sexy shower gel - why the laughter?  Darling Mum is looking forward to celebrating her 88th birthday on Saturday :)  of course we sang a jolly chorus of "I'm Sexy and I Know It", she didn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes!

In the lead up to the Big Day I had been making gifts for my loved ones, and now everything has been received I can reveal some of the results.  As usual I was busy with the wool felt and patchwork fabric, and made a batch of lavender scented hearts:


Usually the background of the hearts is made with red felt, but went for green this year by way of a change...


I always use wool felt, it is marginally more expensive, but it is so much nicer to work with and I like to think it gives neater results...


I loved using ric-rac braid for the hanging loops - have fallen in love with the look of it, so might well be using it in other projects!  Here are the hearts grouped together before being wrapped and sent to my friends and family:


Feedback so far from the recipients has been positive - it is a bit of a tradition now for me to make a variant of scented hearts for Christmas gifts, I started out doing this 4 years ago and everyone seems to like them.  They do take quite a while to make, but I love the process and like to think that the time spent on them is appreciated by those I gift them to.  I also include batches of home made edible treats, will post about this year's batch tomorrow.

Have a lovely Boxing Day, whether you are at home cosy by the fire, whizzing around the Sales, or taking a walk out in the fresh air!

Helenxx

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Helen. Your festive hearts look fab can I ask do you use bondaweb to attach the fabric hearts to the felt ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attach the hearts just by hand sewing them on, the last time I tried to use bondaweb I fused it to the iron!!

      Helenxx

      Delete
  2. These are lovely! Definitely going to add them to the to do list for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hearts look wonderful. I use 100% wool felt too, wonderful stuff! Happy Birthday to your mum.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course the feedback was positive, they are lovely. Glad you all had a good laugh, that is the best way to spend the day.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the green, can be used all year round too.
    I prefer wool felt, the other is so flat and plasticky.
    The had stitching takes time but, does look more decorative.
    Happy birthday to your Mum too!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful to hear you had a great day yesterday and I can just imagine your mother laughing at her sexy gift!
    The hearts are indeed gorgeous and I'll echo what Mere says here ......... of course feedback was positive!
    By the way was the music I uploaded to the pendrive in the little pouch that I sent you for the Autumn Glory swap to your liking?
    Still no sign of your parcel I'm afraid ......best as you say in your email to wait to the New Year when the postal service gets back to normal as it may turn up then.

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Helen.. I think it's awesome that you make those scented hearts for you friends and family.. indeed, handmade things are the best! And they are beautiful!

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I treasure the handmade gifts I am given, Helen, and am glad that those you made hearts for appreciate them! They are lovely! Thanks for posting :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!